Some stupid people have the balls to use no-right-click scripts. In fact, many sites use these dumb attempts to prevent stealing of code or graphics.

Unfortunately, these scripts take away some peoples' ability to use the functions of the secondary mouse button that may prove necessary. And the scripts are so beatable that they are akin to putting a $10 hardware-store steering wheel lock in your car and not locking it.

No-right-click scripts can easily be beaten in several ways: disabling JavaScript, using Opera, Netscape 3, etc (they don't support mouse events), or using the functions in the menu bar. At the worst, no-right-click scripts are merely inconveniences to experienced Web users, and only prevent complete newbies (like the users of no-right-click scripts) from stealing stuff.

The Edit and View menus have replacements for functions in the context menu. Go figure. The context menu makes it more convenient to do certain things like copy unlinked addresses into the address space, view the source to see why exactly a page looks like dogsh#t (missing end tags, probably), or to bookmark the page for later viewing. Virtually all of these functions are in the menu bar or invoked by keyboard shortcuts, although it is less convenient to use the menu bar functions than the context menu ones. In other words, right-click blockers don't work.

I hope this is a learning experience for all of you, particularly all you stupid teenyboppers out there. If you actually want to protect your images, you should put a small note on it (I can hear teenies saying, But that'll deface muh perfect picture!) with your website and e-mail address. And on your own page, tell anyone who sees your marked images on another site to e-mail you with that person's web and e-mail addresses so that you can take care of the situation. (Now the teenyboppers are crying, But that's too hard! ;-)

And if you don't like that idea, then DON'T PUBLISH YOUR PAGES! Not publishing your pages is the only 100%-effective solution against copiers. But if you have a point to make, why not simply publish your pages and quit being so anal-retentive?

Notes:

Button blockers are a small problem compared with worse methods of protecting Web pages. HTML encryption is another mess. It's not nearly as transparent as a button-blocker to non-JavaScript-capable browsers, and those who buy HTML encryption programs are getting rippped off. I have a bookmarklet (JavaScript program in a bookmark) that has defeated EVERY HTML encryption method I have come across and given me the complete source to those pages.

This is your warning, folks. Don't waste upwards of $50 on some program that gives you a false sense of security and is even easier to defeat than a button-blocker.