Raiderpride.org, my school's website, is like 99.9% of school websites: it sucks. The following list will tell you why I think it sucks.

Your School Website Probably Sucks If:

1. It Uses FrontPage Themes.

FrontPage Themes are often of subpar quality, and are usually considered to be one of the hallmarks of an amateurish page.

2. It Uses Different Themes On Each Page.

This violates one of the rules in my "style guide": use a consistent layout and design across your site or sub-sites. Every page at Raiderpride.org has its own theme! So you have a home page that looks like one thing, but each other page looks entirely different. Don't do this.

3. It Uses Weird Fonts.

The site is specified to use fonts other than the basics that practically everyone has. Specifically, it uses fonts included with M$ Office 2000, which costs a buttload of money, especially if you're not getting funding from the state (which is drying up by now).

Font declarations are mostly unnecessary, but these fonts are standard issue on most platforms: Helvetica, Times, Arial, Times New Roman, Verdana (make sure this is preceeded by "Bitstream Vera Sans"), and Georgia (make sure this is preceeded by "Bitstream Vera Serif"). The best fonts, in general, are Arial and Bitstream Vera Sans.

Do note that Comic Sans should be avoided under most circumstances, except for those times when you want something informal that won't be taken very seriously (a jokes page is one example).

4. The Display Size of Most of Its Pictures Is Not the Same as The Actual Size.

This is an all-too-frequent misuse of the IMG element's HEIGHT and WIDTH attributes. It causes pages to load slower since the original, HUGE images have to be downloaded, and the pictures that are loaded will look like crap since most browsers do not resample pictures to fit the attributes.

5. It Uses Page Transitions.

Fortunately for many of us, only Internet Exploder does page transitions. The site's page transitions take about three or four seconds, during which you can't really do anything. On a Celeron 450(?), the transitions are choppy and pretty stupid-looking. But either way, page transitions usually don't add anything to a page; they just make it look more like puke on an already dirty rug.

6. You Haven't Quite Figured Out Just How Bad It Sucks.

There's probably a ton of problems beside these that the site has. You decide.

Fast Fact

I have used FrontPage before, and it is possible to make a non-sucky page with it. First rule: avoid "Themes."